Here's the deal - I love my Crock Pot. We're really close. I search for hours to find just the right thing to make in it - and a few weeks ago, I found it. This is the best Crock Pot chicken recipe ever...Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken (http://mykitchenapron.blogspot.com/2011/07/crock-pot-buffalo-chicken.html - she has some of the best stuff!)
I wasn't feeling too well and wanted an easy dinner that tasted good and was (reasonably) healthy. I got home from work, dumped in the ingredients, turned it on high and left it alone until I went to bed. In the morning, I pulled the crock from the fridge...it looked a lot like this picture (mmmmm).
Now normally, I would just make a sandwich and call it a day. Oh no. This day I was home sick from work with a cold. I needed feel-good food...and to me, nothing hits the spot quite like a quesadilla. Here's the plan:
1. Four 8" Flour Tortillas
2. 1/2 block shredded Pepper Jack Cheese
3. 3/4 cup Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken
4. Bleu Cheese Dressing
Working on only one half of each tortilla, sprinkle 1/2 of the cheese across all four tortillas. Top with chicken and then the remaining cheese. Fold tortillas in half. In a skillet with a very, very small amount of oil, brown the quesadillas until the cheese melts. Serve with Bleu Cheese dressing and you are on your way to feeling so much better :)
(No pictures of the finished product because I was too excited to worry about the camera!)
Friday, January 20, 2012
Then I came across some fabric that worked perfectly with my apartment - I got about half a yard of each since it was on sale - I knew I wouldn't need that much but I can't pass up a good deal.
I conscripted my step-dad to make me three 30"x10" wood frames from scrap wood from his garage. He made them just like you would a picture frame - 45 degree angles and everything. They are just glued and stapled together - they aren't bearing any weight so I wasn't worried about strength. Again using the staple gun, I did cover them first in a cheap black felt - we have cats and they like to pretend they scale walls - to give them a little more durability than just fabric. For the corners, I had to get creative with the folds - you want it to lay as flat as possible. I ended up just cutting out chunks and stapling in layers. When it came time to add the patterned fabric, I laid out the felt-covered panel face (felt side) down on the wrong side of the fabric and left a good 2-3" margin all around the outside.
Starting at the center of the top, I pulled the fabric down and stapled all across the top of the panel - keeping the fabric as flat and smooth as possible.
I then moved to one side of the panel, but started at the corner closest to the top, making sure to still keep the fabric smooth while stapling.
After finishing the one side, I moved to the opposite corner of the one that I finished (if you did the top then right, it would be the bottom left corner) and completed that by pulling the fabric tight enough to get rid of any ripples but not so tight the fabric would wear around the staples. Once all staples were in place around the two remaining sides, it was ready to hang.
The best part is that they are light enough that I was able to hang them on thumbtacks (we were out of nails). I've gotten nothing but compliments on a project that I spent a total of $10.00 completing - and that includes the excess fabric I bought for later projects!